Thursday, July 5, 2012

Antiques Sign Made From Vintage Ironing Board

It's a pity that I didn't take a "before" picture of this vintage wooden ironing board before I started to work on it.  My picker sister found it for me, as she knows I have a hobby of turning these old wooden ironing boards into one of a kind signs. 

This one was particularly worn (yes, that's a good thing!), and had a nice weathered look to it.  I started by giving the board a light coat of white spray paint.  Not too much paint, as I wanted the wood to show through.  Then I found a really cute font and printed off the letters on my regular old printer on regular old paper.  After I cut them out, I adhered them to the wood (cutting them in the middle since the boards weren't flush).  After they had dried, I sprayed 4 coats of clear coat on the entire board giving it a good seal.

I had decided to adorn this sign with 100 miniature lights, so I set out measuring and drilling the 100 holes.  However, once I got the holes drilled, I liked how it looked so much that I decided to leave it as is.  The final touch was to add some twine to hang it from. 


Here's an example of another ironing board sign I did last year.  This one was lighted!

No comments:

Post a Comment